Our 2017 STEM Summer Camp for Teenage Girls will take place on August 7 – 14th. The theme for this year’s residential camp is, “Renewable Energy for a Brighter Future.” We have designed the program to expose 50 students to the diverse renewable energy (RE) sources available in Nigeria and Africa, while helping them harness this potential for economic growth and development. They will be taught the science behind RE and will be given the opportunity to build demo projects to generate electricity using solar, wind, and hydro sources.
Participants will also be given daily challenges to solve simulated problems that affect people in their communities. They will develop innovative ideas to combat drought, floods, food insecurity, electricity shortages, and so on. They will additionally build individual and group projects using the concepts they will learn in robotics, electronics, mechanics, and computer programming. They will learn to work in team, speak confidently, and believe in themselves.
All candidates must register by completing the application form by July 29, 2017. The program is free to students attending public schools. Private school students are required to pay the reduced fee of N80,000.
Full payment must be made to the account below by July 29, 2017.
Account Name: The Visiola Foundation
Account Number: 1014041410
Reference: 2017-SSC-Student’s Last Name-First 3 letters of student’s first name.
E.g. The reference for a student named “Chioma Hassan” would be 2017-SSC-HASSAN-CHI
- Must be an African girl aged 13 – 17 years.
- Must have completed her primary education in an African country.
- Must be currently enrolled in secondary school in an African country.
- Must be available for the full duration of the course.
- Must submit a complete application including: (i) a 500-word statement explaining her interest in the camp; (ii) a letter of support from a parent/guardian; and (iii) Report Cards for the last academic year by July 29, 2017.