The Visiola Foundation’s After-school STEM clubs for girls will be held in 20 different secondary schools in FCT, Abuja. This club session runs from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. depending on the time allocated to the instructors from the school. The theme of this camp is “Exploring robotics in everyday life”. Students during this club session will be exposed to Introduction to Robotics
They will be given tasks and assignment that will challenge their thinking and also spark creativity in their minds. The aim of the After School STEM club is inspiring a degree of responsibility in the students to accepted challenges in their locality as opportunities instead of shying away and leverage the power robotics technology and IT to create lasting value.
The Visiola Foundation’s after-school STEM Clubs For Girls aim to produce the following outcomes:
- Increased STEM knowledge and skills, evidenced by improved academic performance.
- Increased confidence in studying STEM subjects.
- Increased number of young women graduating from university with STEM degrees.
- Increased number of women leading successful careers in the STEM fields.
- Increased number of female innovators tackling important challenges to improve socio-economic development in Nigeria and Africa.
- Improved attitudes toward STEM fields and careers, while tackling inhibiting gender stereotypes.
Topics to be covered are:
- Introduction to Robotics and EV3 Kit
- Introduction to the EV3 lego Mindstorms Education Kit components
- Understanding different types of sensors and motors
- Introduction to programming using Ev3 software
- Basics of drag and drop programming interface
- Exploring various sensors and how they provide feedback
- teaching the robot how to follow line on the floor using color sensor.
- Detecting obstacles
- Project execution
- project presentation
Students will become strong problem solvers who are excellent at seeing opening in challenging circumstances, analytical thinkers, analytic personalities, and powerful innovators by the end of the academic term. The stem clubs sessions will run from September 19 – November 10, 2023, for 8 weeks. Lessons will be taught once a week at a stipulated time and students will react to such lessons within a given deadline. The weekly task will be given which the students will be mandated to turn in by the end of the class.