The Visiola Foundation’s 2020 Virtual STEM Camp is an exciting 5-day program designed to pique the interest of girls in the STEM fields from an early age. The theme for this year’s camp is, “Innovate with Power”.
The camp will hold on September 7th – 11th, 2020, via zoom.
During the camp, participants will be introduced to concepts in Engineering and Computer Science. They will explore how the practical applications of maths, physics, and other science subjects work in the real world. Students will learn about sensors, resistors, diodes, and more in electronics and electricity, while also gaining an understanding of how science and technology can affect society and solve problems. They will work on individual assignments and group challenges to enhance their learning, critical thinking, analysis, and problem-solving abilities.
The aim of the program is to encourage more women to pursue STEM careers by gaining their interest early, building their confidence, and facilitating their success.
The camp will end with a closing ceremony and a demo day when students will have to come up with designs and models that will aid in problem-solving for industries, hospitals, business centres, offices, and other applicable places for their final project.
The specific objectives of the STEM camp are:
- A stronger foundation in Science Subjects
- Increased knowledge and confidence in electronics and electricity.
- Greater interest and would be well-equipped to pursue high-wage technical careers.
Through this camp, the Visiola Foundation seek to increase the number of women in STEM with a view to creating a pipeline of professionals who will leverage technology in developing innovative solutions to Nigeria’s most pressing challenges.
All candidates must register by completing this application form by September 1st, 2020.
- Must be an African girl aged 10 – 17 years.
- Must have completed her primary education in an African country.
- Must be currently enrolled in secondary school in an African country.
- Must be available for the full duration of the course.
- Must submit the following:
- Complete a 500-word statement explaining her interest in the camp;
- Report Cards for the last academic year by September 1st, 2020.
The camp is free but students are required to pay N1,000 application fee.
- Complete the application form below.
- All interested students must deposit the sum of N1,000 (One Thousand Naira) into the Visiola Foundation’s Zenith Bank Account at the time of applying. Evidence of payment of the application fee may be requested.
Full payment must be made to the account below by September 1st, 2020.
Account Name: The Visiola Foundation
Account Number: 1014041410
Reference: 2020-SSC-Student’s Last Name-First 3 letters of student’s first name.
E.g. The reference for a student named “Chioma Hassan” would be 2020-SSC-HASSAN-CHI
For all queries, kindly e-mail us: firstname.lastname@example.org