The Visiola Foundation’s 2021 Virtual STEM Summer Camp is an exciting 6-day program designed to pique the interest of girls in the STEM fields from an early age. The theme for this year’s camp is, “Robotics for Sustainable Development”.
The camp will hold on August 23th – 28th, 2021, via zoom.
During the camp, participants will be introduced to concepts in Electronics and Robotics. They will explore how the practical applications of maths, physics, and other science subjects work in the real world. Students will learn about sensors, resistors, diodes, and more in electricity, electronics, robotics, mechatronics, hydraulics, and aerodynamics taught at school, while also gaining an understanding of how science and technology can affect society and can drive the sustainable development of the country. They will work on individual assignments and group challenges to enhance their learning, critical thinking, analysis, and problem-solving abilities.
The aim of the program is to encourage more women to pursue STEM careers by gaining their interest early, building their confidence, and facilitating their success.
The camp will end with a closing ceremony and a demo day when students will have to come up with designs and models that will aid in problem-solving for homes, factories, hospitals, public facilities, and other applicable places for their final project.
The specific objectives of the STEM camp are:
- A stronger foundation in Science Subjects
- Increased knowledge and confidence in electronics and electricity.
- Greater interest and would be well-equipped to pursue high-wage technical careers.
Through this camp, the Visiola Foundation seek to increase the number of women in STEM with a view to creating a pipeline of professionals who will leverage technology in developing innovative solutions to Nigeria’s most pressing challenges.All candidates must register by completing this application form by August 20th, 2021.
- Must be an African girl aged 11 – 17 years.
- Must have completed her primary education in an African country.
- Must be currently enrolled in secondary school in an African country.
- Must be available for the full duration of the course.
- Must submit the following:
- Complete a 500-word statement explaining her interest in the camp;
- Report Cards for the last academic year by August 20th, 2020.
The camp is free, but students are required to pay N1,000 application fee.
- Complete the application form below.
- All interested students must deposit the sum of N1,000 (One Thousand Naira) into the Visiola Foundation’s Zenith Bank Account at the time of applying. Evidence of payment of the application fee may be requested. Full payment must be made to the account below by August 20th, 2021.
Zenith Bank Account Name: The Visiola Foundation Account Number: 1014041410 Reference: 2021-SSC-Student’s Last Name-First 3 letters of student’s first name. E.g. The reference for a student named “Chioma Hassan” would be 2021-SSC-HASSAN-CHIFor all queries, kindly e-mail us: email@example.com